Final Fantasy VII was the first video game ever to incorporate voice acting. The details in the storytelling, from the character script to the graphics, are likely what sparked devoted fans and gamers from the initial release to the present.
It can’t be denied that Final Fantasy VII has a legacy that has transcended time.
The writing of the characters is so well done, it sounds like a classic novel or dramatic film. The characters are at times philosophical, satirical, humorous, romantic, and my personal favorite, hopelessly pessimistic.
So if you are feeling particularly hopeful about the future, motivated and ambitiously pursuing your dreams of making the world a better place, read these top 10 most depressing and demotivating quotes from the game to give yourself some instant discouragement and a desire to give up on humanity:
- Cloud Strife: “I’ve . . . been thinking, too . . . about the universe . . . people . . . the planet . . . how wide and big . . . no matter where I go and what I do, it won’t change a thing.”
- Bugenhagen: “Looking up at the sky too much makes you lose perspective.”
- Vincent Valentine: “Our battlefield is now beneath the earth . . . the gate to tomorrow is not the light of heaven, but the darkness of the depths of the earth.”
- Mideel villager: “Everything must come to an end. And someday it's gonna be your turn. Even the world's gotta end sometime. Everybody leaves at one time or another. And everyone gets left also. That's just fate... It's sad, but there's nothing that can be done about it.”
- Woman: “They're burning. Someday they'll burn out. The stars are just like our youth.”
- Elder Bugan: “Live with the planet, die with the planet. Maybe this is the way it should be. Who knows? I'm full of booze . . .”
- Corel villager: “I figure if I stay alive long enough, something good's bound to happen.”
- President Shin-Ra: “These days, all it takes for your dreams to come true is money and power.”
- Rufus Shin-Ra: “People are ignorant. They’ll feel better as long as someone is punished.”
- Red XIII: “Humans only look at appearances, anyway.”
Vincent Valentine: “I have nothing to say.”
Yuffie Kisaragi: “That’s okay, it was probably depressing anyway.”